Sunday, April 11, 2010

Article #2 Age Of Majority

I know I talked about this a little bit in my last post but I was a little more curious about the topic. The definition of Age of Majority by the website I used is "The age when a person acquires all the rights and responsibilities of being an adult. In most states, the age is 18." I believe the age of majority is a good thing that we have instilled into our society because it makes a set of general rules that most of the states agree on. But with the age of majority there are also a few setbacks. 1. Not all people take that long to mature. 2. It is a fact that girls mature faster than boys. On the website it gives examples of how girls get to make decisions 2 years before guys do (ex at the age of 12 girls are said to be at age of discretion and boys do not reach this point until they turn 14.) If girls in general mature and make more rationale decisions faster than boys should the age of majority is gender related instead of just based on a common age? This question could really help me out later in me research. Maybe states need to revaluate their age of majority?

No comments:

Post a Comment